Wednesday 11 January 2012

42. Go to the Hummingbird Bakery in London




After reading numerous, glowing reports on 'The Hummingbird Bakery' I felt that having never been there I was missing out big time. Farming in Devon does not give me much reason to venture into the big city, however as last weekend I had gone to see a show it seemed a perfect excuse to pay a visit. With four bakeries in London to choose from, I decided to head to Old Brompton road. Now I must be the only person in the world that was disappointed! For some reason I was expecting a large, gleaming show room with spot lights and every type of cupcake imaginable, but it was just like a little cake shop with one table and chairs in the corner. Being one to never turn down the chance to eat cake,  I choose a red relvet cup cake (£3.55!)....and yes it was very nice, moist with a cream cheese topping  - but 'nice'  I was expecting ' supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. In my mind I was expecting to see stars, with great explosions of flavour and savouring the taste for the rest of my life!!  Perhaps I had built up my expectations, but I don't think it was a visit I will be repeating!! 

10 comments:

  1. that's one expensive cupcake. Looking forward to see what you choose to do next as I haven't seen what's on your list. wishing you on the best on your top 50 journey.

    Amy xo

    by the way I love your blog design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the Yorkshire in me but I couldn't pay £3.55 for a cupcake when my local farmshop do them for 55p, plus I can make them myself for a fraction of the price. To my taste they always put far too much frosting on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we sat and had out cake Debbie, it was fascinating to watch the non stop line of customers coming in for 10 cupcakes at a time - mostly people in their 20's. Obviously have no idea about money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue I was the same when I went there it was a sunday midday and the queue was round the block, I didn't wait, next time I was in the big show around the corner I did pop in but yes they are nice but I can make the same at home xxx Love Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the great expectation that let me down Jo!!

      Delete
  5. I find it difficult to go to London and this was one of the visits on my list. However I didn't know that the price was £3.55 bl**dy ell so I won't be going. As Jo said, I could make the same at home (although Jo's would be more professional than mine!) :) Great Blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could probably make a batch for under £3.55 Sue - but I can now say I have eaten a Hummingbird Bakery cupcake, but one will probably be my life times limit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For that price you want to see stars and you certainly deserve explosions of flavours!! Nice to say you've been but doesn't sound like it would be worth repeating! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. No - will stick to home made in future Anneliese!! x

    ReplyDelete